There are Four Regions formed based on River Basins and Five Functional Units based on activities. The Water Resources Organisation was structured to have the set up as under for administrative reasons and easy financial flows the controls to be built in the following set up of the Department.
1. The Engineer-in-Chief, WRO and Chief Engineer (Gl), PWD, Chennai
The Functional Units are under the special activities of :
6. The Chief Engineer, WRO, PWD, Plan Formulation, Chennai
7. The Chief Engineer, WRO, PWD, State Ground and Surface Water Resources Data Centre, Chennai
8. The Chief Engineer, WRO, PWD, Design Research and Construction Support, Chennai
9. The Chief Engineer, WRO, PWD, Operation and Maintenance, Chennai
10. The Chief Engineer & Director, WRO, Institute for Water Studies, Chennai