Welcome to Institute of Water Studies ( IWS) Website
Water Resorces Department
The Government of Tamil Nadu in G.O.Ms.No.457/PWD dt.08.04.1974 established the Institute for Water Studies to plan, assess and manage the Water Resources in Tamil Nadu in a scientific manner.
• Develop broad principles for planning and management of water resources.
• Assist in the formulation of water management policies.
• Fostering or undertaking research, relating to water planning and policy making.
• Develop training programmes.
• Advice the Government, on specific policy matters referred to it. It is a multi-disciplinary organisation headed by a Director in the rank of Chief Engineer, WRO with a team of Engineers, Hydro-geologists, Geo-chemists, Geophysicists, Environmental Engineers, Photo-geology and Remote Sensing Scientists, Agro-Economist and Administrative Staff .